Evidence-based building design, deliberate selection of construction materials, and green building operations can all have a beneficial impact on the healing environment. At Inova, the pursuit of environmentally friendly buildings ensures that we’re not only protecting our patients and team members, but also investing in our future. Inova adheres to the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification guidelines for new buildings and major renovations. We also adopted green cleaning protocols to ensure that patients and team members are not exposed to harsh chemicals that may exacerbate underlying medical conditions. Specific projects or facilities that received or are pursuing LEED certification include:
- Inova Women's Hospital and Inova Children's Hospital (LEED Silver) - Aspects of the building's green design include highly-efficient energy systems, low-flowing plumbing, LED lighting and a rain garden.
- Inova Cancer and Research Institute (Certification in Progress)
- Inova Fairfax North Patient Tower (LEED Certified)
- Inova Fair Oaks Hospital MOB IV (LEED Silver)
- Inova Lorton Healthplex (LEED Certified)
- Inova Fairfax Operating Rooms (Certification in Progress) - Fairfax's world-class operating rooms are undergoing a renovation that will allow for safe and sustainable surgeries for decades to come.
- Inova Center for Personalized Health Buildings A, C, D (Certification in Progress)
- Landmark, Springfield and Oakville (Certification in Progress) - Over the next decade, Inova will build three large healthcare facilities in Northern Virginia that will incorporate sustainability into all aspects of its operations.
US Green Building Council: Developed the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) green building certification system.