Inova's Office of Sustainability focuses on the proper reduction, reuse and disposal of waste. We are a large hospital system with a large, complex waste stream. Major accomplishments include:
- Recycling - Recycling is the cornerstone of any waste management program. Inova provides single-stream recycling to every unit in its facilities.Have questions about recycling in your department? See our FAQ below!
- Reprocessing - Inova reprocesses many tons of medical devices annually for future reuse. Current devices that are reprocessed in bulk include:
- OR: Reprocessed/recycled products include external fixation, hysteroscopic tissue removal, tissue sealing devices, trocars, ultrasonic scalpels and more.
- Patient Care: Bins for pulse oximeters, ECG lead wires, lateral transfer mats and SCD sleeves can be found in soiled holding rooms or in facility hallways.
- Regulated Medical Waste (RMW) - Inova works to reduce RMW, which can be harmful to air quality because it is typically incinerated. Over the past decade, we have worked with our waste vendors to halve Inova’s RMW to 8.4% through team member education and by removing unnecessary RMW containers from rooms. Use our Know Where To Throw signage to better understand what belongs in an RMW container.
- Food Composting - Our Inova Fair Oaks Hospital cafeteria has maintained a successful back-of-house food composting program since 2019. We diverted 22 tons of food waste last year!