Candidates are strongly encouraged to obtain pharmacist licensure in the state of Virginia by July 1 of the incoming residency year.
All new residents are expected to attend a formal orientation program during the first 6 weeks of the new residency year. The orientation program covers the following aspects: Inova Health System orientation, general computer training, hospital orientation, pharmacy operation and training.
Clinical Rotations (typically 5 weeks in duration)
- Internal Medicine
- Critical Care
- Infectious Disease
- Medication Safety
- Emergency Medicine
Residents will complete (2) 5-week electives and (1) 2-week off-site elective at Inova Alexandria Hospital.
- Internal Medicine II
- Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Medication Safety II
- Infectious Disease II
Additional electives opportunities may be available at other Inova sites based on availability and resident interests.
- Neonatal Intensive Care (NICU)
- Operating Room (OR) Pharmacy
Longitudinal Pharmacy Practice Experience
- At the beginning of the residency year, residents staff every other weekend to build confidence through repetition. Following midyear, the resident staffing schedule changes to every third weekend and one weekday evening every three weeks.
- Participation in Inova Mount Vernon Hospital and Inova Health System committees (P&T Committee, Clinical Pharmacy Team, Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee, Medication Safety, Critical Care Committee, Readmissions Committee, Stroke Team).
On a monthly basis, the Inova Mount Vernon residents partner with residents from Inova Alexandria Hospital to focus on wellness while doing fun activities together outside of the hospital.
Additional Activities for PGY-1 Program
- Journal Club
- Case Presentation
- ACPE-accredited Continuing Education Seminar
- Residency Research Project
- Poster presentation at ASHP Midyear Conference
- Platform presentation at a regional residency conference
- Manuscript submission to a peer-reviewed journal
- Drug Formulary Review
- Medical Use Evaluation
- Presentation to Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee
III. Teaching Opportunities
- Precept advanced pharmacy practice experiences (APPEs)
- Participation in VCU School of Pharmacy Foundations Course (i.e. skills lab)
- Enrollment in a Teaching and Learning Certificate Program (optional)
- ASHP Mid-Year Clinical Meeting (December)
- Regional residency conference (April-May)
- Site visitation to ASHP headquarters (if available)