Pulmonary hypertension (PH) refers to elevated pressure in the vessels of the lungs. If affected, the arteries and veins in the lungs become narrow and stiff. As the result, the right side of the heart has to work harder to pump blood through the lungs. If left untreated, PH can lead to right heart failure.
The Pulmonary Hypertension Program at Inova Fairfax Hospital provides the highly specialized multi-disciplinary care required by patients dealing with various types of PH. Inova's lung experts are nationally-recognized for their expertise in diagnosing, treating and managing PH, utilizing the most effective treatments available. Our program has long been recognized for its research of different forms of pulmonary hypertension.
The PHA and other societies continue to acknowledge our team's vast experience and expertise. In October 2020, Dr. Shlobin, Medical Director of the Pulmonary Hypertension Program, was invited for a 2nd two-year term on the PHA Scientific Leadership Council. She also serves on the PHA Oversight Committee, routinely participates in the bi-annual PHA and PHPN symposium and is a member of the Pulmonary Vascular Steering Committee for the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP). Dr. King serves on the Standards and Guidelines Committee for ACCP. Dr. Khangoora serves as a Representative to PHAR for PHA. Ms. Sisserson is on the PHA Review Committee, and Ms. Guzman is serving on the Planning Committee for the 2021 and upcoming 2023 PHPN Symposiums.
Patients receiving care from the Inova Pulmonary Hypertension Program have seamless access to numerous other medical and support programs. You can talk with the staff about any of the following options.
- Pulmonary rehab: call 703-776-3671
- Interventional radiology: call 703-776-3570
- Palliative care: call 703-776-3203, or email Susan Perry, email@example.com, for referral
Dedication to holistic care of PH patients continues at our facility. Family members are encouraged to attend all appointments.
Specialty consultant services are available, including:
- Congenital heart disease clinic (medical and surgical)
- Interventional cardiology
- Lung transplant
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
In-Hospital Supportive Services
- Thoracic imaging
- Nuclear medicine
- Cardiac anesthesia
- IAC-certified ECHO lab
- Pulmonary diagnostics
- Interventional radiology
Pulmonary Hypertension (PH) Support Groups
- PH Support Group for patients with PH and their family members. Meets several times a year. Contact Betsie Miklos, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-244-7517 or Sarah Brackett, email@example.com for more information.
- PHA-sponsored support groups in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC
- Virginia: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maryland: contact email@example.com
Websites to Search for More Information
The Pulmonary Hypertension Program's team is active in advocacy, fundraising, and education and is continually acknowledged by the Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) for its expertise. Read our most recent annual patient letter from program Director, Dr. Oksana Shlobin to learn more about our work.