Nothing compares to a personal, first-hand account from one of our lung recipients. We thank our real-life storytellers for their willingness to share their experiences and tell their stories of courage, joy and gratitude.
20 Year Lung Transplant Survivor Colleen Adamson
On July 3, 1998, at the age of 29, Colleen Adamson became Inova’s first Cystic Fibrosis patient to receive a double lung transplant, giving her a new lease on life. In July 2018, Colleen reunited with her original care team at Inova to celebrate her miraculous 20-year anniversary.
One Year Anniversary
Julia Allen, second from left, attends the Tree of Life ceremony with her mother, Brenda Bridges (left) and two Inova Fairfax Hospital CCU nurses on the one-year anniversary of her double lung transplant for cystic fibrosis.
Julia's eight-year-old-daughter, Lexi, attended the 2013 Tree of Life ceremony while her mother was in surgery, memorializing her mom's transplant with a notation in the guestbook that read, "My mom's getting her lungs right now."
It's a Small World!
You never know who you will come across. Or when.
Former lung transplant patient Michael Birchenall (left), crossed paths with his surgeon, Dr. Paul Massimiano (right), on the day of his one-year transplant anniversary. Michael says he only met Dr. Massimiano in the ICU following his surgery. This was his opportunity to say thank you under much better conditions, a "beautiful surprise," he called it.
Disease Specific Transplant Stories
Lung transplant patients share their unique experiences.
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (A1AD)
- Bill Poplett talks about the struggles of living with the genetic disease Alpha-1 and the thrill of his first breath post-transplant.
- Colleen Adamson talks about life after transplant and her passion for helping others with their transplant experience.
- Miracle story for young cystic fibrosis patient, Jackie Price.
Chronic Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF)
- David Chesterfield recounts his lung transplant experience.
- Life-long athlete Jim Lawrence credits the Inova team with giving him his life back after a heart attack and lung transplant.
- Doris Lowenthal's journey after a IPF diagnosis followed by breast cancer.
- Ed Swift gives back by volunteering in a pulmonary rehab clinic.
- Bruce Vibbert shares his story and urges people to consider organ donation.
- Ed Zedlewski explains IPF and the logistics of organ donation and transplantation.
Interstitial Lung Disease
- After being told he was too old for a transplant elsewhere, Interstitial Pneumonia (UIP) patient Bill Stanley found Dr. Nathan, and Inova.
- Karen Nichols, who required a transplant for Interstitial Pneumonia (NSIP), chooses joy every day.
- Wife of army veteran John Brooks credits his donor with the chance to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
- Golfer Bill Murphy celebrated after 2 years of arduous recovery by finishing a 5k with his daughter.